The Tatra Mountains are the perfect location for a centre-based walking trip surrounded by beautiful scenery. You can expect to see majestic peaks, glacial lakes, scenic valleys and plummeting waterfalls – all in the space of eight days.
A self-guided holiday means you can hike at your own pace, with full back-up, pausing to take photos whenever you want to. On your journey, you’ll experience the soul of the Tatra mountains by stopping at traditional mountain huts, heading into deep valleys encased in the region’s rugged peaks, and hiking to the summit of Velka Svistovka (2,038m) - a non-demanding trek with stunning summit views. This is a varied trip through some of Europe’s best mountains.
Why we think this trip is fantastic, and you’ll love it!
- This is your chance to explore the natural beauty of the Tatra Mountains and its wildlife. The mountains are home to lakes, waterfalls, flowers, valleys, craggy peaks, ridges, and so much more. All of this is the perfect habitat for mammals and birds, and you’ll observe rare Tatra chamois up-close.
- Centre-based holidays are fantastic if you want a comfortable base to return to each night. We’ve chosen a nice, three-star hotel, which is perfectly located for heading out on each day’s hike and enjoying traditional, tasty food at local restaurants in the evening.
- Self-guided holidays give you the freedom to be your own boss. You can walk at your own pace, take little detours to something that catches your eye off-track and take satisfaction from the fact that you navigated your own route.
- Mountain huts all have a story to tell, whether they were once used in the gold rush era, or home to partisans during the war. Today, they provide a welcome (and welcoming) break for a drink and snack with a view.
Is this trip right for you?
- This is a walking holiday for those who enjoy being outdoors and have a love of the mountains.
- The stones on some of the paths can be slippery when it has rained.
- On certain days there are sections secured by chains. The climbs are not physically demanding, but you must have a head for heights.