If you’re short on time but keen to see the very best of the High Tatra mountains, this five-day walking tour will be perfect for you. It starts and ends in Poland’s former capital, Krakow, so you can tag more time on at either end if you want to see more of the city under your own steam. The itinerary in the Tatras packs in three days of walking adventures before you make your way back to where you began.
During the tour, you’ll hike to the summit of Velka Svistovka (2,038m) for panoramic views, stop for a taste of hearty Slovakian food on a day’s hiking between traditional mountain huts, and soak up the tranquillity of crystal-clear lakes and forested valleys on mountain walks.
Along the way, you can stop and photograph the incredible scenery, pausing for a coffee and a snack at one of the mountain huts along the way. Your guide will be on-hand to help throughout, and you’ll head back to a comfortable hotel in the mountain village of Tatranska Lomnica at the end of each action-packed day.
Why we think this trip is fantastic, and you’ll love it!
- The Tatras are an outdoor enthusiast’s dream – the mountains are home to lakes, waterfalls, flowers, and valleys that make the perfect habitat for mammals and birds. Plus, you can observe rare Tatra chamois up-close.
- Centre-based holidays give you a homely base to return to each night. We’ve hand-picked a nice hotel, which is well positioned for heading out on hikes each day and is close to local restaurants for meals in the evenings.
- This is a great choice for explorers who prefer to follow an itinerary where the organisation – including transfers and activities – is managed by your guide.
- Mountain huts are steeped in Tatras’ history, whether they were once used in the gold rush era, or home to partisans during the war. Today, they provide a great spot for a drink and snack with a view.
Is this trip right for you?
- This is a walking holiday for those who enjoy being outdoors and have a love of the mountains.
- The stones on some of the paths can be slippery when it has rained.
- On certain days there are sections secured by chains. The climbs are not physically demanding, but you must have a head for heights.