If you’re looking for a self-guided walking trip that takes you deep into the heart of the Tatra Mountains, this short break is for you. It ticks off some of the most incredible on-foot experiences this Slovakian mountain range has to offer – all in the space of just five days.
By choosing a self-guided holiday, you can walk at whatever speed suits you, knowing the Slovakia Explorer team is on-hand to help if you need it, but taking pride in the fact you’re very much in charge.
On the way, you’ll see glacial lakes, step inside history-steeped mountain huts and watch waterfalls plummet before your eyes. Plus, you’ll hike to the summit of Velka Svistovka (2,038m) and be rewarded with incredible views. As this is a centre-based walking trip, you’ll come back to a warm and welcoming hotel at the end of each day.
Why we think this trip is fantastic, and you’ll love it!
- Centre-based holidays are a great option if you want a comfortable base to return to each night. We’ve hand-picked a lovely three-star hotel, which is perfectly located for heading out on each day’s hike and close to local restaurants in the evening.
- Self-guided holidays give you the freedom to walk at your own pace. You can stop when you want, take little detours to something that catches your eye off-track and be proud of the fact you navigated your own route.
- This tour showcases the natural beauty of the Tatra Mountains and its wildlife. The mountains are home to lakes, waterfalls, flowers, valleys, craggy peaks, ridges, and so much more. All of this is the perfect habitat for mammals and birds, and you’ll observe rare Tatra chamois up-close.
- You’ll stop at mountain huts, which all have a story to tell. Some were once used in the gold rush era, and others were home to partisans during the war. Either way, they make a perfect pit-stop and a provide a chance to rest and re-fuel.
Is this trip right for you?
- This is a walking holiday for those who enjoy being outdoors and have a love of the mountains.
- The stones on some of the paths can be slippery when it has rained.
- On certain days there are sections secured by chains. The climbs are not physically demanding, but you must have a head for heights.